How can you get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you choose to update to a more sophisticated model like cochlear implants or you got them from a departed family member: your pre-owned hearing aids should be donated versus throwing them away.
There are several organizations that acquire and circulate used hearing aids to individuals who could really use them, and there are many people who need them. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why You Should Look Into Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
- Approximately 14% of the total population, suffers from hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from hearing loss are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would benefit almost 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of those over 70 who require hearing aids have ever used them
This is very worrisome. Because health problems like cognitive decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been linked to untreated hearing loss. The relevance of your hearing to your general health is backed up by new studies being released all of the time. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health issues (and in some situations even reverse them).
And loss of hearing will cost the average family up to $12,000 each year which should be a really persuasive fact. But hearing aids can actually reduce that cost by up to 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it might simply not be feasible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have an enormous effect on their financial stability, quality of life, and overall health. It could also help a child in school who has a hard time hearing, which could impact their ability to enter into higher education and make a livable wage when they get older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are lots of volunteer organizations and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and talk with us so we can advise you on the right recycling option for you. Or you can just give us a call.